Evil has awoken.
After centuries of calm, peace has abandoned the steppes of Dasht-e Kavir and Dashr-e Lut. Orcs, dark knights and other evil creatures ambush and attack travelers in the roads, and they even dare to get close to undefended villages. It is rumored that the chimneys from Dal Gurak's tower are smoking again, and the shamans are sharing the news with bated breath, as if they were afraid of making the bad omen come true.
You are Jarkum, a barbarian from the lineage of Arram. Your ancestor Tukaram was chosen by the goddess Ianna to end the darkness created by Asherat, the Lord of Chaos. Now, everything poitnts to a return of the same evil, although you do not dare to say it aloud to avoid attracting bad luck. However, when an old shaman came to your tent, you knew something was going wrong.
You must leave immediately and go to Kashgar. Evil does not rest, and you are our only hope. Our people, once proud and powerful, has become fearful after all these years of peace, and it won't resist the attack from the forces of Chaos. You must go to Kashgar and listen to your ancestors.
The game can be controlled using keyboard or joystick, you can choose which one to use by hitting the Fire button in the main menu.
There are two modes: exploration and fight. Using the special key “FIRE 2” you can switch between modes, and each mode will make our character do different types of movement.
Loading instructions (Spectrum)
You can try several different versions:
- +3 disk version: you can use a single-disk version (ianna-3dos.dsk), which requires your emulator tu support a double-sided, 80-track disk drive, or the two-disk version (ianna-sidea.dsk / ianna-sideb.dsk), which will ask you to switch sides once the main game code has been loaded.
- ESXDOS version: you can use it on your device with ESXDOS (DivMMC, DivIDE or similar), on a ZX-Uno or a ZX Spectrum Next. Just copy the contents of the iannasd/ folder in a directory on your storage device, and then load LOADER.
- Cartridge version: to use the cartridge version you need a ZX Dandanator! Mini, or an emulator that supports it. Currently, ZesarUX and Es.pectrum support this device.
Loading instructions (MSX2)
The game will work on any MSX2 model with 128 KB of VRAM.
“The sword of IANNA” © Retroworks 2017 / http://www.retroworks.es
- Idea and code: Fco. Javier Peña (utopian)
- Graphics, level design and art: Fco. Javier Velasco (pagantipaco)
- Music and sound effects Alberto J. González (McAlby)
- Loading screen: Marco Antonio del Campo (MAC)
- Betatesting: Javier Ortiz (tbrazil), Iván Sánchez (IvanZX), Jaime Tejedor (Metalbrain) and the rest of the Retroworks team.
- ZX DANDANATOR! MINI cartridge and technical support: Daniel Leon (Dandare)
- MSX2 technical support: Manuel Pazos (Guillian)
- Additional testing for MSX2 version: Manuel Pazos (Guillian), Fco. Javier Loscos (Metr), Pablibiris
- English text proofreader: Felix Clowder